- Hits: 1602
The Burma Human Rights Network (BHRN) has welcomed British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson’s visit to Bangladesh and Burma on 11 February to press for international action on the Rohingya crisis. The visit was a stark reminder for the international community of the violence and atrocities taking place against the Rohingya people of Burma.
Commenting on the visit, Kyaw Win, Executive Director of BHRN said: “This was an important visit by the UK’s Foreign Secretary. I welcomed Boris Johnson’s robust comments against the Burma military and civilian government during his visit. Johnson’s visit is timely as the UK and other Member States of the European Union deliberate their collective policy response to the crisis. Top of the agenda must be the need for smart and targeted sanctions by the EU against the military and its economic interests. It is only this form of assertive action that will force the Burmese authorities to halt its brutal policy against the Rohingya and, other religious and ethnic minorities across Burma.”
According to recent reports by Reuters and AP,
- Hits: 1589
Since Jan. 25, the Myanmar Army has been engaged in an aerial bombardment of Kachin State’s Tanai Township, and carried out military strikes in and occupation of Kachin Independence Army-held areas of Sumprabum and Waingmaw townships. Shelling has displaced estimates of more than 3,000 civilians. Unable to flee, these villagers have been effectively trapped in the conflict zone. At least four have been killed, according to local media.
While community-based organizations have negotiated the release of many of these individuals, Burma Human Rights Network (BHRN) remains concerned by reports that the Tatmadaw continues to detain locals while releasing 1,000 migrant workers who had been employed in the mines of the resource-rich region.
Sources on the ground tell BHRN that hundreds of villagers—some of whom are being displaced by armed conflict for the third time—have been stranded on roads for more than 10 days, and are now suffering from health issues including chronic diarrhea and lack food and water.
- Hits: 1544
On 1 February, an Associated Press (AP) investigation revealed evidence of five mass graves near the village of Gu Dar Pyin in Myanmar’s Rakhine State. Witness testimonies by Rohingya survivors indicate that the Myanmar’s military and Rakhine militias launched a mass attack against Rohingya villagers on 27 August 2017. Cell phone footage collected by AP shows corpses in the mass graves surrounded by acid.
“This news should shock the conscience" said BHRN’s Executive Director Kyaw Win. “These mass graves are part of a mounting body of evidence that the Myanmar military systematically attacked innocent Rohingya men, women and children. Soldiers were spotted buying acid two days ahead of the attack. The military clearly planned these massacres and took premediated steps to destroy the evidence.
“The international community must hold Myanmar’s authorities accountable. Failure to do so would be a grave injustice for the victims, their families, and the entire Rohingya community. Moreover, the international community should impose proportionate consequences to prevent future atrocities.











































