- Hits: 1899
(LONDON, June 15, 2026) The United League of Arakan (ULA) and its armed wing, the Arakan Army (AA), should immediately end the forced labor of Rohingya civilians in northern Maungdaw Township and halt the confiscation and redistribution of Rohingya-owned land to ethnic Rakhine settlers, the Burma Human Rights Network (BHRN) said today. Information gathered by BHRN's human rights researchers reveals that since the last week of May 2026, the ULA/AA has imposed forced labor demands on at least six Rohingya villages in northern Maungdaw, more than 300 people in total, to build infrastructure for new settlements it intends to establish for Rakhine communities at Sapay Kone and Maung Hna Ma, both former Rohingya villages.
The Arakan Army is seizing Rohingya land, handing it to Rakhine settlers, and forcing the dispossessed Rohingya to build the new settlements with their own hands," said Kyaw Win, Executive Director of the Burma Human Rights Network. "This is forced labour in the service of permanently erasing the Rohingya from northern Maungdaw.
- Hits: 729
London, 30 April 2026 - Online hate speech targeting Muslims, Rohingya, and women intensified across Myanmar's social media landscape in 2025, fueled by military-backed nationalist networks and amplified by platforms with weak enforcement, the Burma Human Rights Network (BHRN) said today. A new report by BHRN documents 943 instances of hate speech recorded on Telegram, Facebook, and TikTok over the course of the year, finding no sustained decline in prevalence and a marked escalation in the severity and reach of content targeting ethnic and religious minorities.
“In 2025, BHRN documented 943 cases of hate speech targeting Muslims, Rohingya, and women in Myanmar," said Kyaw Win, Executive Director of the Burma Human Rights Network. “Identifiable actors are running coordinated campaigns on Telegram, TikTok, and Facebook, and the platforms are doing almost nothing to stop them. The international community watched hate speech enable genocide in Myanmar in 2017. Governments serious about preventing atrocity crimes in Myanmar need to treat platform accountability as part of that agenda.”
- Hits: 1091
(London, 1st February 2026) Today marks five years since the Myanmar military seized power on February 1, 2021. In that time, the junta has killed thousands of civilians, detained more than 30,000 political prisoners, and displaced at least 3.6 million people. Its atrocities, which include war crimes and crimes against humanity, have only intensified over the past year. For Myanmar's Muslim communities, the military's violence has been accompanied by systematic attacks on religious life. Since the coup, the junta has destroyed several Islamic religious buildings through airstrikes and arson, sealed mosques, seized historic cemeteries, and permitted ultranationalists to incite hatred with impunity.
"The military stood before the ICJ this month and denied committing genocide while its allies back home called for Rohingya to be 'shot, killed, dumped, buried,'" said Kyaw Win, Executive Director of the Burma Human Rights Network. "Five years after the coup, the military is still bombing civilians, raiding mosques during prayers, and permitting open calls for Muslims to be exterminated. Not a single general has faced justice. There is still no arms embargo, no global jet fuel ban, no ICC referral. That impunity is why the killing continues. The question is whether the world will do anything about it?"














































